Make Your Blog More Attractive - Tip 1

Many bloggers, both newbies and experienced ones, keep asking me about the "Read More and Add Your Comment" buttons, special "Note" tag which I include in my recent posts, about the Tags and Author Name which are included below every post title and so on. I plan to publish articles in the upcoming weeks solving these issues and other issues faced by the bloggers as well. It's better that you subscribe to my blog so that, you don't miss any valuable tip that would make your blog more attractive.
make blog more attractive
In this post, I will demonstrate on "How to add the Read More and Add Your Comment buttons" to the home page of your blog. Though blogger has enabled the "Read More" feature with "Insert jump break" icon, to add the CSS stylized icons, you need to follow the instructions mentioned  in this post. Still not clear about what I'm blabbering, then have a look at the previews below - on IE, on Firefox. 
Read More Button On IE
On Internet Explorer
Read More Button on FireFox
On Mozilla FireFox






Note: Rounded corners are visible only on the latest browsers and it's not supported by IE.  However, the hack will work on IE. It will be visible as straight edges. Check out the screen shots to find the difference between the straight corners and rounded corners.

Fine. Let's install this hack on our blogs. Just follow the instructions mentioned below.
1. Login to your dashboard. Navigate to "Layout>>Edit HTML" from your dashboard. Make a back up of your template before you make any changes in the template.
2. Search for the following code in your blog. You may use "CTRL+F" to fasten your search results.
]]></b:skin>
3. Paste the following piece of code just above the line mentioned in step 2 (the one you searched for).
.rmlink a {
       color:#ffffff;
       text-decoration: none;
       float:right;
       font-family:Arial;
       padding:3px 4px 3px 4px;
       font-size: 12px;
       font-weight: bold;
       text-align: center; 
       background: #444343;
       padding-left:10px;
       padding-right:10px;
       -moz-border-radius: 5px;
       -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
}
.rmlink a:hover {
       color:#ffffff;
       text-decoration: none;
       background: #7b7b7b;
       -moz-border-radius: 5px;
       -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
}
4. Save your template temporarily. Next, expand your template checking the box on the top right corner of HTML area, that is, ensure you have a tick mark on the box.
5. Once the template is expanded, search for the following code in your template.
<data:post.body/>
6. Just download this text file - Read More Hack. Replace the above mentioned code with code present in the text file. That is, just copy the entire content in the text file and paste it instead of the code mentioned in step 5.
7. Save your template. That's it!!! Every time you make a post, just use the default "Jump Break" tag and this hack will work.

If you face any problems installing this script, you can always contact me via email or leave a comment below. You can also request for solutions regarding the problems you face when installing other widgets on your blog or request for the scripts which attracted you the most on my blog, say like the subscription box, the search bar, etc... Your problems will be addressed in the upcoming posts on my blog. So, what you waiting for??? Leave a comment and get your problem solved!!!

UPDATED CODE
Few people asked me to include the number of comments along with "Add Your Comment" and "Read More" button. The updated version would look as shown in the picture below.
So, for those who wish to have the new version of code. Just follow the same steps which are mentioned above expect step 6. Instead of the file - Read More Hack, download the following file -  Updated Read More Hack Code and replace the code as mentioned.

Enjoyed the article?
Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to subscribe to FREE email updates from "Everything About Blogging", so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you and your blog!

    Other Recommended Posts

  • Blogger Tutorials
Yana said on January 7, 2011 at 7:33 PM :

I love this post... I am a newbie so I could learn much from this post!
Thanks!

REPLY
Mukund said on January 7, 2011 at 9:17 PM :

@Yana: Thanks for the comment Yana!! Yes!! This post and the upcoming tips are targeted especially to the newbies like you. So, I suggest you to subscribe to my blog so that, you don't miss any valuable tip to your blog.

REPLY
Sahil said on January 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM :

Great tip... do you know how to display number of comment besides add your comment tag???
I have tried to add but it shows an error for the closing span tag.
I didn't find the contact page on your blog, otherwise I have mailed you the code.

REPLY
Mukund said on January 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM :

@Sahil: You can visit the services or join us page to contact me. Anyway, thanks for the comment! Yes!! It can be done the way you want. I will update this post in few days time with the script you asked for.

REPLY
Anonymous

May just be the Most excellent subject that i browsed through all year?

REPLY
brad said on January 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM :

I too am a newbie and came across your blog. I think I will be subscribing and wanted to say thanks for the help.

REPLY
Mukund said on January 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM :

@brad: Thanks for the comment brad! You may subscribe if you feel my blog is useful. But, I suggest you do it because I'm sure there will be some thing useful from my blog:)

REPLY
/\/\0#@/\/ said on January 11, 2011 at 10:15 AM :

dude i need a "popup textbox after clicking a button" code for ma blog...

REPLY
Mukund said on January 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM :

@/\/\0#@/\/: Thanks for the comment! I will let you know through my post if I find a code for it. Will work on it buddy!! Mean while, enjoy my upcoming articles!!

REPLY
Anonymous

Sweet web-site, I hadn’t encountered this before during my researches! Carry on with the superb job!

REPLY
"தாரிஸன் " said on January 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM :

informative... thankx

REPLY
Mukund said on January 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM :

@"தாரிஸன் ": Thanks for the comment! Hope you enjoy the other articles on my blog!!!

REPLY
Sahil said on January 15, 2011 at 5:35 PM :

Thanks for the update.... That works great!!!!!!

REPLY
Mukund said on January 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM :

@Sahil: Thanks for the comment! Enjoy the upcoming widgets and other tutorials too buddy!

REPLY
Jones Act Lawyer said on January 18, 2011 at 9:27 AM :

Great tips you got there buddy, I was looking for those since I need more of the tips for the improvement of my blog. My sister was asking me about it too, and I'll be referring your blog to her too. Thanks!

REPLY
Mukund said on January 18, 2011 at 4:57 PM :

@Jones Act Lawyer: Yeah!!! Definitely, I will update more tips related to this topic. Thanks for referring my blog to your sister and for your comment as well!!!

REPLY
Sharron Field said on January 31, 2011 at 2:56 AM :

Um...I appear to have missed the point here: All I see is how to cover ur blog with even more pointless distracting eye-candy. - Are we trying to re-create Times Square here?

REPLY
Allyzah@Business Interruption Claims said on January 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM :

This post could be really helpful for newbies even with the experienced ones. Keep posting tips for bloggers and also for future bloggers to dip on.


Business Interruption Claims - Used Cars Abilene

REPLY
Mukund said on January 31, 2011 at 8:24 PM :

@Allyzah@Business Interruption Claims: Thanks for the comment buddy! Yeah! I will make sure I update my blog with more new tips. Would love to receive more comments from you!

REPLY
ellaine@insurance bad faith lawyer said on March 14, 2011 at 6:28 AM :

BLAM! Outstanding! I will definitely try this one… I was just browsing hoping I could find something useful for my new project and im so glad I ran into your blog site! Great tips!!! Kudos!

REPLY
Mukund said on March 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM :

@ellaine@insurance bad faith lawyer: I'm glad that you could find something new for your new project on my blog. Hope you enjoy the other articles on my blog as well. Thanks for your comment by the way!

REPLY
Obiwoobi said on March 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM :

thank you for tips :)
how can i delete the old "Read more.." plz ? coz i have 2 read more now :)

REPLY
Mukund said on March 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM :

@Obiwoobi: You need to remove the earlier version of read more icon which you installed. If you are not aware about that, then contact me via email. I will help you remove it!

REPLY
floemanuellelane@gmail.com said on June 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM :

It's really very nice and attractive when add ons are included on blogs. It's a tool for readers to just click on them instead of doing it the hard way..

REPLY
Mukund said on June 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM :

@floemanuellelane@gmail.com: Yes! Your right but certain things require little hard work to get the best results out of you! Hope you accept with that! Thanks for your comment buddy! Would love to hear more from you!

REPLY

Use the tab below to comment. No spam please!!!

[netinsert=0.0.1.11.14.1]