Automatic Read More Hack For Blogger With Thumbnails

I recently wanted to change my blog appearance and while working for the same, I could find this hack. This hack is basically an updated version of the previous "READ MORE HACK" provided by sites like eblogtemplates. The disadvantage with the previous hack was that it did not create a summary of the posts that are already existing, that is, posts that are already published. Moreover, you had to include the code every time in your posts to create a summary of the post.

This post will explain you how to add the automatic read more hack for all posts including a thumbnail, if the post has got a picture in it. If the post has not got any picture, it just shows a small summary of the post. Follow these simple to install this hack in your blog.
1. Navigate to "Layout>>Edit HTML" from your dashboard. Make a back up of your template before you do any changes in the template.
2. Now, expand your template, that is, make sure that you have a tick mark in that "Expand Widget Template". Now, do a search using "CTRL+F" for the following line: </head>
3. Paste the following piece of code above </head>.
<script type='text/javascript'>
var thumbnail_mode = "no-float" ;
summary_noimg = 450;
summary_img = 400;
img_thumb_height = 100;
img_thumb_width = 120;
</script>
4. Now, do a search again for the following piece of code: <data:post.body/>
5. Download this Automatic Read More Hack. Replace the following piece of code with that present in the file. Now, save your template and check out the result.

You may customize the number of letters displayed in post by changing the value in the following line, that is, change the ones highlighted in red.
summary_noimg = 450;
summary_img = 400;
In order to change the height and width of the thumbnail that is displayed in every post, you need to modify the following line, that is, change the ones highlighted in red.
img_thumb_height = 100;
img_thumb_width = 120;

Enjoyed the article?
Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to subscribe to FREE email updates from "Everything About Blogging", so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you and your blog!

    Other Recommended Posts

  • Blogger Tutorials
Waqas Khan said on September 7, 2009 at 6:49 AM :

hey great info bro .. its very useful ill try this out :)

REPLY
Mukund said on September 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM :

Definitely, try it out!! Any help, you may contact me personally via email.

REPLY
football said on September 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM :

can you modify this to show video thumbnails ? is it possible ?

REPLY
Mukund said on September 21, 2009 at 7:05 PM :

@football: I am not sure if we can do that. I don't think we can do that! I will try to find a code for this. Other wise I will let you know that I can't via mail!

REPLY
marry said on March 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM :

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
_____________________________

Biology Dissertation

REPLY
Dissertation Writing service said on August 12, 2010 at 11:43 AM :

This kind of information is very limited on internet. Nice to find the post related to my searching criteria. Your updated and informative post will be appreciated by blog loving people.

Dissertation writing advice

REPLY
Mukund said on August 12, 2010 at 9:34 PM :

@Dissertation Writing service: Thanks for the comment!! Keep in track with the blog for more updates!

REPLY
Anonymous

It was extremely interesting for me to read the article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.
Don't you think design should be changed once in a few months?

Joan Simpson
massage monaco

REPLY
Mukund said on October 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM :

@Anonymous(Joan Simpson): Thanks for the comment! I hope you find more themes of your choice on my blog. Any way, I feel it is not necessary to change themes very often. You need to make sure your theme is neat and error free for the user. That is it!!

REPLY
varun

Hey Mukund you are awesome man. I had problem with this Read more hack, it doesn't work with "ads theme" templet pls help me.. :-(

REPLY
Mukund said on November 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM :

@varun: Automatic Read More hack is pretty simple! Any way, you can now integrate the read more hack easily with the upgraded editor on blogger. Have you tried that?

REPLY
varun

hm, i tried it but there was a problem with it. I use "Linkwithin" widget for related posts. If i show 4 posts with "read more" on my home page then "linkwithin" also appears 4 times i.e under every post.

I had tried your related posts hack but it doesn't work :-(

REPLY
Mukund said on November 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM :

@varun: You just need to put the link-within code between these two tags so that they appear only on the post pages.
<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == "item"'>
YOUR LINK-WITHIN CODE
</b:if>

REPLY
varun

@Mukundbut this is the code i have
|

sorry if i'm irritating you :D

me = meta(<me expr:content)
tit = title

REPLY
Mukund said on November 10, 2010 at 7:21 PM :

@varun: The code seems to be pretty new! Just send me the template!! I will fix your issue but please do state the problem clearly when you send me your email!!

REPLY
Waqas Khan said on November 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM :

hey great info bro .. its very useful ill try this out :)

REPLY
Anonymous

Damn, rather interesting article. How can I find your subscription?

Sara Smith
equipment for security

REPLY
Mukund said on November 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM :

@AnonymousThanks for the comment! You can subscribe to my blog via email or through RSS. Just check the widget at the right sidebar.

REPLY
php2ranjan said on December 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM :

Thanks for sharing the info.

REPLY
Ruchiwebsolutions said on December 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM :

This site is very informative. Very easy to use your tips. Keep up the good work, you Rock!!!!

REPLY
Seoruchi said on December 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM :

Good research work. Keep it up.

REPLY
webdesignpatna said on December 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM :

Thanks for the code.

REPLY
webhostingruchi said on December 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM :

Thanks for sharing the info. Helped me a lot.

REPLY
Anonymous

I am not agree with the explanation . but any way.. thanks

REPLY
Mukund said on December 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM :

@Anonymous: To whom so ever commented here, I would like to receive your view about the post. Please let me know what more information you want to me add? I will try to modify them!

REPLY
Mukund said on December 4, 2010 at 8:40 PM :

@Ruchiwebsolutions: Thanks for the comment! I hope you check out the other posts on my blog and enjoy them as well!!

REPLY
Mukund said on December 4, 2010 at 8:41 PM :

@Seoruchi: Thanks for the comment! Wish to see you more often on my blog via comments!!

REPLY
Mukund said on December 4, 2010 at 8:43 PM :

@php2ranjanThanks for the comment! I appreciate your effort to comment on my blog! Would love to see you more often on my blog!!

REPLY
Mukund said on December 4, 2010 at 8:44 PM :

@webdesignpatna: Your most welcome! Keep up with the updates on my blog!!!

REPLY
Mukund said on December 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM :

@webhostingruchi: Thanks for the comment! Hope to see you more often on my blog via comments!!

REPLY
Yana said on January 7, 2011 at 7:26 PM :

I used this methode, but my post look like a mess, but I saw yours is looking good.

please take a look mine, http://maximits.blogspot.com what do u think should I do?

REPLY
Mukund said on January 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM :

@Yana: Thanks for the comment first!!! If you feel this script makes your blog look messy, I suggest you to try the other script which I used on my own template - Demo Of Ultimate Blogging Theme For Blogger. Just contact me via email to get the script installed on the above mentioned link.

REPLY
HollywoodFap said on January 22, 2011 at 2:24 AM :

5. Download this Text Document. Replace the following piece of code with that present in the file. Now, save your template and check out the result.


What code?

REPLY
Mukund said on January 22, 2011 at 7:08 AM :

@HollywoodFap: I'm extremely sorry buddy! It's not the following code. It's the code what you searched for in the before step.

REPLY
buffaBLOG said on February 8, 2011 at 5:43 AM :

Does anyone know if there is a way to have the thumbnails be just a segment of the original photo instead of a shrunk down version? I hate that the photo proportions get squished.

REPLY
Mukund said on February 8, 2011 at 9:06 AM :

@buffaBLOG: Yeah! Even I'm looking for such tutorial. If I get one, I will let you know buddy! Thanks for the comment!

REPLY
Arya Bagus said on March 18, 2011 at 4:54 PM :

Hi,
I have problem,the blockquote style is missing in the homepage. How do i show the blockquote style in home page?

REPLY
Mukund said on March 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM :

@Arya Bagus: May I know what you mean by the blockquote style? You mean to say you changes the parameters that are highlighted or which one? Please do contact me via email and I can fix your issue!

REPLY
Arya Bagus said on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM :

Hi,
I have problem,the blockquote style is missing in the homepage. How do i show the blockquote style in home page?

REPLY
buffaBLOG said on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM :

Does anyone know if there is a way to have the thumbnails be just a segment of the original photo instead of a shrunk down version? I hate that the photo proportions get squished.

REPLY
HollywoodFap said on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM :

5. Download this Text Document. Replace the following piece of code with that present in the file. Now, save your template and check out the result.


What code?

REPLY
google said on November 9, 2011 at 9:12 PM :

tanks............

i like your post really..........

REPLY
lissa said on December 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM :

I like this post..
Dissertation Help

REPLY

Use the tab below to comment. No spam please!!!

[netinsert=0.0.1.11.14.1]