Devil's Workshop Template Customization - Part 2

fixing-errors
I'm overwhelmed with the response for Devil's Workshop Blogger Template. Missed it? Then, take a look at it - DW Blogger Template. I received lot of emails appreciating my efforts to create the template. With that being said, I do receive mails about the various bugs/errors in the template. So, this article deals in solving those issues.


ISSUE WITH READ MORE HACK
Many people emailed me stating that the read more hack is not working on the template. The read more hack is installed, by default, in the template. You just need to enable it in every article you post. In other words, it's a manual read more hack which works using the "Insert jump break" option available on the blogger post editor. If you are using the very old post editor, then you need to update the same and look for the icon shown below.
jump-break-icon
Position your cursor at the end of the first paragraph in your article - not necessary the first paragraph. Hit the "Insert jump break" icon available on the post editor. Later, publish your article to see the read more hack working on your template. Remember that you need to repeat the same procedure before you publish each article to make the hack work.

ISSUE WITH GOOGLE PLUS ONE BUTTON
The second issue deals with the Google Plus One Button installed to the right of post title on homepage. The plus one button, when shared, incremented the counter for the entire blog rather than incrementing it for each article on the homepage. Quite annoying for a reader to see simultaneous increment for the entire blog when he/she tried to just plus one the article. Well, don't worry! I've fixed this issue now.

To add Google Plus One Button to individual article, or in other word, to increment the count for each article on homepage, follow the steps mentioned below.
1. Navigate to "Design>>Edit HTML" and make a backup of your template by clicking on the "Download full template" link at the top of the page. Once the back up is over, expand your template and search for the following block of code.
<div style='float:right; margin-left:8px; margin-top:-5px;'>
<fb:like action='like' colorscheme='light' expr:href='data:post.url' font='arial' layout='box_count' send='false' show_faces='false'/>
</div>
<div style='float:right; margin-left:0px; margin-top:-3px;'>
<g:plusone size='tall'/>
</div>
2. Replace the code highlighted in blue with the following piece of code.
<div style='float:right; margin-left:0px; margin-top:-3px;'>
<g:plusone expr:href='data:post.url' size='tall'/>
</div>
3. That's it! Save your template and your done!

Now, try to plus one each article individually and you'll see that they increment as they should! Let me know the other errors or bugs associated with the template. I'll try to fix each one of them. If not, post why they can not be done:) Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed this update. Share your opinions via comments below:)

Enjoyed the article?
Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to subscribe to FREE email updates from "Everything About Blogging", so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you and your blog!

    Other Recommended Posts

  • DW Customization
பொன்மலர் said on October 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM :

Thank you Mukund for your great tips. I want one more thing. i want 3 column footer widgets also. please make it in third part of this tutorial.

REPLY
பொன்மலர் said on October 7, 2011 at 1:29 AM :

Why dont you makeup this template with automatic read more hack?
ie. read more without jumpbreak method.

REPLY
Ashiq Hassan said on October 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM :

Nice Tutorial..
Thank You..
www.onlinepctrick.blogspot.com

REPLY
Pradeep said on October 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM :

Works Good Now ...Thanks

REPLY
MV said on October 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM :

Hi Mukund,

'jump break' option is OK for the new posts, how about older posts. My plan is to change the old template of my blog. Pl suggest.

REPLY
Osho @ Latest Tips And Tricks said on October 8, 2011 at 10:55 PM :

Hey Really A Great Template :)

REPLY
Mukund said on October 10, 2011 at 1:43 AM :

@பொன்மலர்: Well, the only reason why I prefer the manual method is because we can customize it the way we want where as, when it becomes an auto hack, the images tend to crush and it looks odd. The footer is exactly the same as you seen on the main template. Let me know what kind of footer you want and I can design one for you:)

REPLY
Mukund said on October 10, 2011 at 1:45 AM :

@MV: If you want it to be applied for earlier articles as well, then you must install the auto hack. But, I feel people will not browse your blog page by page. Rather, they'll search what they want using the search bar. So, no use in having the read more hack installed for older articles. Just my opinion.

REPLY
Pavan said on October 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM :

Mukund , I always have a doubt . It is the same way you released thesis and posted about customization and it is now about devil's workshop. Actually you can implement in the template itself (if i'm not wrong). I accept all people won't like this customization then you can add one more template to downloads after all customizations right ??

Nice work mukund :)

REPLY
Mukund said on October 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM :

@Pavan: Yeah! Probably I'll release one at the end with all the modifications - something like the updated version to download! The idea behind posting customizations is to keep the readers (ones who downloaded the template) intact with my blog for updates

REPLY
Danny Roy Jenuil said on October 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM :

Hello there Mukund, I have a question, my blog used to run widget that uses JavaScript without any problem, but now, it seems that my blog cannot properly run those widgets. The thing that may have caused this is I did a lot of editing in my template's code and it may have also caused all the JavaScript-enabled widget to stop working. Tell me, is there any way I can make JavaScript to function properly again on my blog? The only solution I can come up is to reset my blog's template but I do not want to.

REPLY
HariNarayan said on October 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM :

Mukund can you tell me how you have a special place for html ?

REPLY
Chiranjeev

Mukund,The issue you have cleared, I have already fixed it. Now I need to page no. box below the all posts on homepage like Devils workshop template. Plz try to do it.....
I am waitin..

REPLY
sidharth.pk said on October 16, 2011 at 11:53 AM :

Recently i have come across your site and i think you tried your maximum to support visitors and also by posting useful tricks.I'm a 16 years old boy from kerala and also i have customized your devils workshop template.Visit and comment.Hope your reply.Thaks and waiting for more templates.

REPLY
Mukund said on October 17, 2011 at 2:03 AM :

@Danny Roy Jenuil: Well, your partly right! By making customizations on your template, sometimes there are chances that you mess up with the JS codes! Make sure you install the basic version of the template and rework on your widgets! Hit me via gmail or gtalk and I can provide a better solution if my answer above, is not to your point:)

REPLY
Mukund said on October 17, 2011 at 2:07 AM :

@HariNarayan: If you mean to say those HTML codes embedded within the article, just refer to my article about adding HTML codes on blogspot blogs - use the search bar on the top right!

REPLY
Mukund said on October 17, 2011 at 2:13 AM :

@Chiranjeev: May be your good at coding! So, you fixed the issues yourself but there are many who don't know! I have posted the article for their purpose! I'll soon post about the page navigation hack when I find time to do the same:)

REPLY
Mukund said on October 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM :

@sidharth.pk: Yup! My blog is purely intended to help the newbies out there! Thanks for the comment! You can connect with me via gtalk, if interested:)

REPLY
HariNarayan said on October 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM :

Mukund can you tell me how do you have the special text box for sub headings , wp only has that feature

REPLY
Chiranjeev said on October 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM :

@MukundThanks for reply! Plz do the same one more thing I want, When clicking on older post it doesn't show sharing button icons on each and every post.Plz fix as well this.

REPLY
ajay said on October 22, 2011 at 2:53 AM :

Hey Mukund,

i want jump break hack or 200 words summary hack (auto)...can you do for me in this template.

www.elix4trick.blogspot.com

REPLY
Mukund said on October 25, 2011 at 12:04 AM :

@ajay: I've written an article about auto read more hack on my blog. Please refer to that article! If you find it difficult to get through, then hire me and get the job done!

REPLY
deji said on October 31, 2011 at 7:49 PM :

@mukund how can i remove the adsense ads and link of the top?thanks

REPLY
Anonymous

pls how can i remove d google ads and link and put mine?thanks

REPLY
alwadifa said on October 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM :

i liked this template devil and im using it in my website it's really beatifull

REPLY
Mukund said on November 27, 2011 at 11:58 PM :

@deji: Just make sure you expand your template and look out for ad blocks of size 468x60 or the link units. Remove the codes associated with them! Simple!

REPLY
hFree premium account 2u said on December 9, 2011 at 11:51 AM :

hi mukund can you see my blog, actually i already add you template in my blog http://freepremiumaccount2u.blogspot.com . but i still dont understand what is meaning stay connected.. how do i doing put some facebook widget... izzit simple like copy that widget and paste on stay connected place ? please little bit explain please...

REPLY
Imran said on December 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM :

Mukund i have a serious problem with your template
When i put ads inside template they are showing blank spaces
When i replace your publisher id with my id then also ads are showinh blank spaces
Only widgets are showing ads
Please help me

REPLY
Mukund said on December 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM :

@Imran: Well, the ads will show only when advertisers bid on your site. If not, they will appear blank. Many a times you can see the same on my very own website too!

REPLY
Imran said on December 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM :

I am talking about google adsense
Google ads are showing blank spaces when i replace your publisher id with mine
This is happening only when i place ads inside the template code
If i put a widget then ads are working fine please help me:)

REPLY
Imran said on December 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM :

OK 5n got the point thanks for such a great template
My traffic increased like anything after changing to this template
Thanks a lot
If possible write a article on how to add 3 lower footer widgets to this template

REPLY
Imran said on December 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM :

I would like to tell you one more bug in this template
Share buttons on the top right corner after title are displayed only on first page,from 2nd page they are not displayed

REPLY
Admin said on December 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM :

there is any code for posting? the posts appear without creating summary and thumbnail.. please help ! Thanks

REPLY
Mukund said on December 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM :

@Admin: Please use the jump break tag available in the blogger post editor to create summaries for your article!

REPLY
Admin said on December 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM :

why the button plusone google do not appear in post on main page .. and in header after category.. the script is on template but don't work ... :(

REPLY
Mukund said on December 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM :

@Admin: Even I had similar problems! I do not why they disappear. But, they will appear a bit later. So, don't worry about that:)

REPLY
TrickerGuru said on December 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM :

bro. i cant move widgets of right side bar of dw template... its really irritating when i try to move it didnt get moved in actual.. i can add new widget.. but cant move in right sidebar from up to down or down to up.. plz have a check and helo 2..
site: http://trickerguru.com

REPLY
idBlogWalkingAndPost said on December 31, 2011 at 2:21 PM :

Why my Devil workshop template can'not show the comment

my blog http://i-jr.blogspot.com

i look your post in http://www.newbloggingtipz.com/2010/10/wordpress-like-comments-for.html

this code : "{div expr:id='data:widget.instanceId + "_comments-block-wrapper"'}"

nothing in my template code

please help
Thanks
AlQadib

REPLY
venu gopal said on February 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM :

I want to use drop down navbar below header how to use it.How to navbar below the header title

REPLY
location bateau martinique said on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM :

I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about. Thank you so much.

REPLY
best twin stroller said on February 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM :

I must say that this blog is an amazing blog an impressive one,,Thanks for the tutorial, very interesting and Nice information.

Thanks 4 sharing!

REPLY
Battlefield 3 said on February 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM :

I find great information in your blog

REPLY
Calorie Counter said on February 7, 2012 at 2:48 AM :

This is my first come to your blog,and i read a good information that you put in here..good job i like it keep going thanks

REPLY
play free online games said on February 7, 2012 at 2:51 AM :

Great stuff…I think you’ve made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.

REPLY
Hammad Baig said on February 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM :

Hey Really A Great Template
techtutshub

REPLY
Anonymous

Great article! Thanks a lot for sharing this useful info with us.

REPLY

Use the tab below to comment. No spam please!!!

[netinsert=0.0.1.11.14.1]