Remove "Read More" Hack From Static Pages On Blogger

I have just now enabled guest blogging (my next post will be based on guest blogging and its importance, make sure you subscribe to this blog so that, you don't miss any thing that is valuable to your blog) on this blog, which I should have done long before. Better later than never. Anyway, when I recently added a new page to my blogger blog for enabling guest blogging, I encountered a mistake in it. It displayed a "Read More" link at the end of the post on the static page of my blog.

When I clicked on the link, it still showed the same page. So, it is pretty stupid to display "Read More" link for an already expanded post. More over, displaying the same page again and again for the same link appears to be more stupid. If you did not understand what I meant in the lines mentioned above, just have a look at the following two pictures and you will understand what I mean.
BEFORE REMOVING THE "READ MORE" LINK

AFTER REMOVING THE "READ MORE" LINK
So, I thought I should some how overcome this stupidity and to my surprise, I found a piece of code that would do the magic. Just follow the steps mentioned below and you will rectify the bug on your static pages on blogger.
1. As mentioned in many of my previous posts, make sure you create a back up of your template. To do this, navigate to "Design->Edit HTML" and make a backup of your template clicking on the "Download full template" link at the top.
2. Expand your blogger template and search for the following piece of code.
<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType != "item"'>
(or)<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType != "item"'>
(Note: Make sure that the following pieces of code follow above or below the code mentioned in the step2.)
<div expr:id='"summary" + data:post.id'><data:post.body/></div>
<script type='text/javascript'>createSummaryAndThumb("summary<data:post.id/>");
</script>
<span class='rmlink' style='float:right;padding-top:20px;'>
<a expr:href='data:post.url'> read more "<data:post.title/>"</a></span>
3. Copy and paste the following piece of code just before the line mentioned in step2.
<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == "static_page"'><b:else/>
4. Now, search for the following code near by the above codes.
<div style='clear: both;'/>
5. Copy and paste the following piece of code just before the line mentioned in step4.
</b:if>
6. Save your template and view the static pages of your blog.

This trick might be little confusing because it involves correcting the stupidity on our blogs(quite difficult to accept and digest). If you feel this tutorial is complex, then you can leave your comments below and I will help you solve the problem.

Enjoyed the article?
Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to subscribe to FREE email updates from "Everything About Blogging", so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you and your blog!

    Other Recommended Posts

  • Blogger Tutorials
Seattle SEO & Web Design said on October 19, 2010 at 9:26 AM :

Great article and helpful tips. It's nice to see that people still take the time to teach others by offering free advice and information. That's what keeps 'em coming back! :-)

REPLY
Jane@Find All Answers said on October 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM :

Very nice of you to share a cool tip from what you have learned through your experience. I think most bloggers would want to deal with this little thing "Read more".

REPLY
Mukund said on October 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM :

@Seattle SEO & Web Design: Thanks for the comment! I hope you keep coming back to my blog again and again. I would like to see your presence more on my blog with your comments!!!

REPLY
Mukund said on October 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM :

@Jane: Thanks for the comment!! I always love to share my experiences with my bloggers and that is the key to success for my blog too. Would like to receive more comments from you as well!!

REPLY
Virtual Office Services said on October 23, 2010 at 11:14 AM :

It's never late to do something good! I hope you will get some quality content for your blog through guest blogging option.

REPLY
Mukund said on October 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM :

@Virtual Office Services: Thanks for the comment! Even I hope the same!! How ever, few have asked question related to guest blogging!! Check out for my next post related to guest blogging!!!

REPLY
ToeKneeManGo said on October 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM :

I'm having a bit of difficulty with this, as my blog (www.outonlimbs.com) doesn't have the coding exactly like your tutorial. The "read more" section is afterward and different. Every variation I try just ends up telling me that it either can't accept it or if it does, it doesn't change a thing and I still have static pages that are just "read more" loops.

REPLY
Mukund said on October 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM :

@ToeKneeManGo: I'm happy that you expressed your problem via comment. I would like to look at the coding of your template. Send me your template via email(smalwayz@gmail.com)! I will try my best to solve your problem!!

REPLY
ToeKneeManGo said on November 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM :

I'm having a bit of difficulty with this, as my blog (www.outonlimbs.com) doesn't have the coding exactly like your tutorial. The "read more" section is afterward and different. Every variation I try just ends up telling me that it either can't accept it or if it does, it doesn't change a thing and I still have static pages that are just "read more" loops.

REPLY
Seattle SEO & Web Design said on November 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM :

Great article and helpful tips. It's nice to see that people still take the time to teach others by offering free advice and information. That's what keeps 'em coming back! :-)

REPLY
vamsi@Hover pc Hacks said on January 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM :

Thanks 4 sharing all this good tips with us... Hope you make more.

REPLY
Mukund said on January 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM :

@vamsi@Hover pc Hacks: Thanks for the comment buddy! Yeah! I will update similar articles!!! Keep in touch so that you don't miss them!!!

REPLY
Monster Mike said on February 28, 2011 at 5:12 AM :

I can't seem to get your code to work in my blog template, so I was wondering if you could take a look at my code. I would like to be able to remove the "read more" so the youtube videos I post will show up on the main feed. Let me know if you would be willing to take a look (brohams.com). Thanks!

REPLY
Mukund said on February 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM :

@Monster Mike: May be your template coding is a bit different. Just contact me via email. Hit the button on the footer of my blog and send in your template. I will fix it up!

REPLY
Tech-Beever said on March 4, 2011 at 6:33 PM :

hi, i was having a little problem with the dreaded 'Read More' loop on static pages, i managed to rectify the problem, however, i now have summeries at the top of my static pages.
any help would be much appriciated :)

REPLY
Mukund said on March 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM :

@Tech-Beever: Great! What problem you have with the summaries? I'm ready to help. Contact me via email and I will fix your issue!

REPLY
Tech-Beever said on March 5, 2011 at 11:41 PM :

@Mukund
hi thanks for your reply!
basically, I have managed to remove the 'read more' from my static pages, however, i now have summaries at the top of my pages, and it doesn't look too good. I've searched my code, but i'm not 100% on what i'm looking for to solve the issue.
any help would be much appriciated!
:)
I wasn't sure if you got my email, so I posted it here too

REPLY
Mukund said on March 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM :

@Tech-Beever: I have not received any email from your side. Please let me know your site URL and other details and only then, I can fix your issue. Please specify your problem clearly when you email me!

REPLY
Tech-Beever said on March 5, 2011 at 11:59 PM :

@Mukund
I've tried the Contact Me on the footer of the site, but it loads a blank page :/
my site is:
http://www.techbeever.co.cc/

if you could email me, i'll reply via that:
techbeever@gmail.com

REPLY
Mukund said on March 6, 2011 at 12:08 AM :

@Tech-Beever: Done! Check out your in-box!

REPLY
Pluspixel said on March 13, 2011 at 8:19 PM :

I searched through the code but can not find summary. What can I do?

http://pluspixel.blogspot.com/

Static page:
http://pluspixel.blogspot.com/p/que-fazemos.html

E-mail: pluspixel@gmail.com

Thanks. Claudio

REPLY
Mukund said on March 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM :

@Pluspixel: I sent a mail to you. So, check your inbox. Thanks for the comment by the way.

REPLY
Becky said on March 25, 2011 at 7:29 PM :

This is the same thing that I am trying to do, but for my share links and LinkWithin gadget, but I'm still having trouble. Help?

REPLY
Mukund said on March 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM :

@Becky: Yeah! For sure! Why not? Hit the contact me button below and I'm there to help you out!

REPLY
Anonymous

hi, i cant find that code can u please help me.. my static page http://www.bluetricks.co.cc/p/contact-us.html

please mail me...@ bluetricks@gmail.com

REPLY
Mukund said on April 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM :

@Anonymous: I sent a mail to your inbox buddy! Check it out!!!

REPLY
NY Buff Editor said on April 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM :

can any1 figure out the fix for http://www.nybuff.org/p/contact-us.html

id appreciate ur help
email me hitchin999@gmail

REPLY
Mukund said on April 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM :

@NY Buff Editor: Yes! Mail me and I will help you! Hit the contact button at the bottom of this blog.

REPLY
NY Buff Editor said on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM :

can any1 figure out the fix for http://www.nybuff.org/p/contact-us.html

id appreciate ur help
email me hitchin999@gmail

REPLY
Monster Mike said on April 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM :

I can't seem to get your code to work in my blog template, so I was wondering if you could take a look at my code. I would like to be able to remove the "read more" so the youtube videos I post will show up on the main feed. Let me know if you would be willing to take a look (brohams.com). Thanks!

REPLY
Anonymous

Nice and thanks!

REPLY
Mukund said on May 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM :

@Anonymous: Thanks for the comment buddy! I hope you enjoy the other articles on my blog too!

REPLY
GulshanElectric said on July 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM :

i can't do that in my blog. i have to use posts instead of pages due to this read more hack somewhere in the javascript codes of the template.

check it here and suggest changes.
http://www.gulshanelectric.com

thanks and regards

REPLY
Mukund said on July 19, 2011 at 6:10 PM :

@GulshanElectric: I rather prefer seeing your template than your blog. So, send me your template via and I'll help you out! Else, ping me on gtalk! I'll to sort out the issue for you!

REPLY

Use the tab below to comment. No spam please!!!

[netinsert=0.0.1.11.14.1]