Speed Up Your Blog - Tips And Tools

This is my third post about "How To Speed Up Your Blog?". If you had missed the earlier versions, check out the "First Post" and "Second Post" on Speeding Up Blogger Blogs. I suggest you to have a look at the previous versions before you continue with this post because it might sound completely new, if you straight away get to this post. Here, I'm going to deal with some concepts that might sound little complicated when compared to the previous ones. However, I tried my best to keep it as simple as possible. So, webmasters can straight away continue reading this post.

I don't want to make this post too long by writing stories about the benefits which my blog gained after implementing these techniques. But, I would like to know how the following techniques benefited your blog/website. I have just explained few concepts in this post while the other techniques, like CSS Sprites and reducing DNS look ups, may be explained later in the upcoming posts on my blog.

STEP ONE : GET THE RIGHT TOOLS
The first and foremost step that one should implement to speed up his/her blog is to get the right tools for analysis. I suggest you to download "YSlow". YSlow is the best firefox add-on as far as I know, when it comes to complete analysis of your website. It will provide grades under each category that contributes to load time of your blog.
Yslow
Another tool that would generate a detailed report about your website - Pingdom. The main benefit of Pingdom is that you don't need Firefox and the results are much easier to parse. How ever, I highly recommend you to download Firefox and get the add-on installed because YSlow is something very special, especially for webmasters.

STEP TWO : IMAGE AND JAVASCRIPT OPTIMIZATION
The most important factor that reduces the speed of your web page would be the images and Java Scripts on your blog. So, what should I do with the images? One simple method reduce the images. But, I feel images speak more than words. So, it becomes very important to add images on your posts and blogs as well. So, let's skip the simple method and get to the next level. Instead of reducing the number of images, it is better to reduce the image size. Let's take an example. Imagine that an image occupies 500kb but after compression it becomes 250kb which simply means my site will load faster. 

Next question : How to compress the images without losing the image quality as well? The answer to this question is very simple - Smush.it!!! This tool does the compression work. Just upload the image to Smush.it and later upload it to your blog. You may apply this technique to the existing images on your blog as well!!!

As far as the Java Scripts are considered, I recommend you reduce them. However, when you can't avoid their use, I recommend you place them at the end of your template. Place them right before the end of body tag. Before placing them at the end, make sure all the Java Scripts are combined into a single file. So, that you avoid the number of HTTP requests and eventually, save time in loading your site. To combine the Java Scripts, use the following tool - JMerge. Jmerge is simple tool that will combine all the Java Scripts on your blog into one single file. 

CSS-Edit-LogoSTEP THREE : CSS OPTIMIZATION
The most important optimization that is required for any blog or website is the placement of CSS and external stylesheets. The CSS and other external stylesheets should be placed above the end of head tag. This allows the browser to load the content first. Thus, the user can read the properly formatted content first while the CSS, Java Scripts and other stylesheets will load in the mean time.

One more optimization that should be made with respect to CSS would be the reduction in the code or in other words, the reduction in size. So, how do I do that? Apart from the CSS compressor explained in the previous posts, you may optimize it as shown in the example here. If you have a code that reads like the one below.
p.notice
{
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 1.33em;
}
p.another-notice 
{
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 1.33em
}
You may replace them with the following code.
p.notice,
p.another-notice
{
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 1.33em;
}
This will considerably save few bytes (though very little) which in turn contributes to a quick load time. More over, you can prove to your friend that your are CSS geek just as I did. Any how, I believe that these tools and tips will increase the speed of your site. Share your views via comments and don't forget that you get back-links (How To Increase Backlinks To My Blog?) for your comments, since my blog is a dofollow blog. (What Is A Dofollow Blog?)

Enjoyed the article?
Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to subscribe to FREE email updates from "Everything About Blogging", so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you and your blog!

    Other Recommended Posts

  • Blogging Tips
Pnoy said on November 12, 2010 at 10:05 PM :

I've learnt a lot from this post. and the previous two. hope to hear more from you.

i want to read about gadgets/widgets that are necessary/must to one's blog.
btw, thank you!

REPLY
Mukund said on November 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM :

@Pnoy: Thanks for the comment first! I'm happy that I provided some useful information to you. Yeah!! Sure!! I will publish a post about the necessary widgets/gadgets for blogger in the upcoming weeks.

REPLY
Games Download Blogspot said on November 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM :

thanks for the tips. i've used all tips and it works.

REPLY
Mukund said on November 24, 2010 at 9:02 AM :

@Games Download Blogspot: Thanks for the comment buddy! I would love to see you more often on my blog! Happy to know that all the tips worked for your blog!!!

REPLY
/\/\0#@/\/ said on January 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM :

is der any codes to speed up blog dude..?

REPLY
Mukund said on January 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM :

@/\/\0#@/\/: There are no codes. You can build your site through CSS sprites!!! Only that will enable you to speed up your site.

REPLY
Classier Corn said on January 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM :

Hi,
Very useful tips.
Best Regards!
Classier Corn
www.classiercorn.blogspot.com

REPLY
Mukund said on January 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM :

@Classier Corn: Thanks for the comment! I would be more happy if you make your comments more descriptive.

REPLY
chyardi said on February 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM :

Explanations are short and fine, thanks for the info ....

REPLY
Mukund said on February 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM :

@chyardi: Thanks for the comment! Are they clear to you or not? If not tell me where you face the difficulty?

REPLY
dinuzara said on March 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM :

i'll try to follow these advise. Hope will speed up my site

REPLY
Mukund said on March 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM :

@dinuzara: Sure! Let me know whether they were useful to your blog or not after trying the tips mentioned on this post.

REPLY
Kene said on June 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM :

How can i be able to use jmerge. I cant understand you in the post.

REPLY
Mukund said on June 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM :

@Kene: Just download Yslow and the firebug add on. You will understand what I mean in the post! Else, just ping me via email! I will help you out!

REPLY
syuk said on August 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM :

hello can you explain breifly about using Jmerge, after putting my blog url the will the rest right? then after that what shoul i do, copy all the code or what, then where do i paste the code, please help..

REPLY
Mukund said on August 3, 2011 at 6:34 PM :

@syuk It is not possible to combine all the JavaScript files on blogger using JMerge! You need to sort out the external JavaScript that you made use of and jmerge only those scripts. I suggest you to ping me on gtalk for further assistance.

REPLY
syuk88 said on August 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM :

@Mukundwhat is your email acctually, and i also have some problem with my slider, just before its working very well, but now i added some widget its not working any more..

REPLY
Mukund said on August 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM :

@syuk88: Sent an email! Check out your Inbox! Let's have our chat there because this is not the right place to do so:)

REPLY
kiran said on January 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM :

Very helpful. Thanks for the tips. Please let me know if can we add images without relevant to post?

REPLY
Mukund said on March 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM :

@kiran: My suggestion - Avoid pictures that are not relevant to the article.

REPLY

Use the tab below to comment. No spam please!!!

[netinsert=0.0.1.11.14.1]