Google Sitelinks Updated - An Improved Version

google-sitelinks
Google has constantly been rolling out some prominent changes via updates on PR, Google+ Games, Authorship Markups, etc... Today, I noticed one such update which is about, the way in which the sitelinks show up on Google search. If you wonder what sitelinks are, they are basically links from your blog that appear below your domain name which Google feels useful to the reader - usually appears when a person searches for your domain name.

Earlier, Google used to display eight sitelinks - just links. But, now it's completely different. The recent update shows 12 sitelinks with a small snippet about your articles - not a snippet, probably the first phrase from your article. You may check out the screen shot below to better understand about the way in which the new sitelinks are displayed - sitelinks generated for "newbloggingtipz" on 19th August.
newbloggingtipz-sitelinks
Since sitelinks are auto generated by Google with their special algorithms specifically written for the same, no one can actually tell you about getting sitelinks for your blog. However, I recommend you to read the following article which might probably fetch you one - How To Get Google Sitelinks For Your Blog? I also recommend you to install breadcrumbs for better results - Add Breadcrumb Navigation To Blogger.

Now, what if your unhappy with a link that appears below your domain name and you wish to remove the same. Very Simple! Login to your "Webmaster Tools" account and navigate to "Site Configuration>>Sitelinks" from your dashboard. Now, paste the URL you wish to remove and hit the "Demote" tab. That's it! Your done. 

You'll not see that link from the next day - takes time to process your request. As such, you can demote upto 100 URLs and they are effective only for 90 days which means they might pop up again after a period of 90 days. So, you need to demote them every 90 days. You can read more about this topic here - Sitelinks.

Let me know if you made use of the demote/deletion tool to display better links to your readers? And do share your knowledge about Sitelinks with us via comments...

Enjoyed the article?
Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to subscribe to FREE email updates from "Everything About Blogging", so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you and your blog!

    Other Recommended Posts

  • Blogging Tips, SEO
KavyaHari said on August 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM :

Sitelinks are auto generated by Google :)

REPLY
saikrishna said on August 19, 2011 at 11:33 PM :

I Noticed this change on yesterday Bro
And Thanks for letting me to know with detail info Thanks :)

REPLY
Denver Interactive Agency said on August 20, 2011 at 3:40 AM :

Do we know if there is anything in webmaster tools or analytics to tell us which sitelinks are getting the most clicks? I'd love to have that kind of info for my site.

REPLY
TheEmoLab said on August 20, 2011 at 3:58 AM :

I've seen this for my site and now im happy i've finally got Google site links

REPLY
Mukund said on August 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM :

@gh0st0nline: I would be happy if you express a little more than what you did, the next you comment:)

REPLY
Mukund said on August 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM :

@KavyaHari: Yup! You know it and I do:)

REPLY
Mukund said on August 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM :

@saikrishna: Sure Sai! I hope you get sitelinks for your blog as well:)

REPLY
Mukund said on August 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM :

@Denver Interactive Agency: Well, I'm afraid if we can do that! I know a code wherein you can track the outgoing clicks from your blog using Google Analytics! So, I'll try to work out some jquery possibly to tell you the maximum clicks from sitelinks but I guess it's not possible. Anyway, thanks for the comment!

REPLY
Mukund said on August 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM :

@TheEmoLab: That's great info! Congrats! I hope my previous articles helped you:) Lol:) Anyway, thanks for the comment buddy!

REPLY
Guduru Pradeep Kumar said on August 26, 2011 at 12:34 AM :

@KavyaHari
Yes KavyaHari, Sitelinks are auto generated by Google algo. Its basically the popular links of blog/website which would be displayed as Sitelinks below the search result of the blog/website.

REPLY
Pawan Sharma said on August 30, 2011 at 12:05 AM :

I'm New in blogging , I try to increase more link with my blog but its count = 0 till !!


Please tell me how to increase it????

My blog is : http://getzlatestupdates.blogspot.com

REPLY
Mukund said on August 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM :

@Pawan Sharma: It shall take a long time to see sitelinks for new blogs! Better connect with me on gtalk and I'll tell you what you need to do:)

REPLY
Seo melbourne said on September 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM :

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

REPLY
Mukund said on September 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM :

@Seo melbourne: Yup! I'll try to keep it simple the next time when I write about the same topic! Thanks for the comment buddy:)

REPLY
tomy said on October 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM :

oh.thnks post full

REPLY
Anil kumar said on January 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM :

Useful post

REPLY
rxmichaels said on February 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM :

Thanks for the info, I need to work on my links it still seems complicated to me. However, I am learning more and more by reading your blog and comments thanks

REPLY

Use the tab below to comment. No spam please!!!

[netinsert=0.0.1.11.14.1]