Add Related Posts To Blogger Blog

I recently came across few comments in my blog that the previous post about related posts was not working in few blogger blogs. Moreover, the previous "Related Posts Widget" displays all the related posts based on category and displayed the labels of each one of them but, the one in this post will only display the specified number of posts and will not show any labels. Take a preview of the final output.related-postsThis post basically features an alternative method to show the related posts in your blog. Follow these simple steps to add this widget to your blog.
1. Navigate to "Layout>>Edit HTML" from your dashboard. Make a back up of your template before you do any changes in the template.
2. Search using "CTRL+F" for the following line:
</head>
3. Download this first text file. Open the text file and insert the following piece of code just before the above line.
4. Now, expand your template, that is, make sure that you have a tick mark in that "Expand Widget Template". Now, do a search using "CTRL+F" for the following line:
<data:post.body/>
5. Download this second text file. Open the text file and insert the following piece of code just after the above line.
6. Now, Save your template. Preview each of your posts separately. If you still have any problem in downloading the file or with the code, then please leave a comment.

UPDATE: Check the latest version here - Stylish Related Posts.

Enjoyed the article?
Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to subscribe to FREE email updates from "Everything About Blogging", so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you and your blog!

    Other Recommended Posts

  • Blogger Widgets
nickyoes said on June 20, 2009 at 10:45 AM :

i like your blog...
every posting were divided into its categories...
easier for me as a reader to pick what topic i wanted to read
keep it up

REPLY
Bhing said on June 22, 2009 at 9:10 AM :

I tried to use that kind of widget in my other blog but it seems it did not work well.. So I might try this one, I hope it will work out..

REPLY
Srikanth Nyshadham said on July 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM :

Hi,

Very informative for a beginner like me.

Thanks

REPLY
prashant said on August 11, 2009 at 4:19 PM :

its working...thanks

REPLY
∂αηιєℓ said on October 15, 2009 at 10:59 AM :

The code works, however if I can give suggestion, you should limit the number to maybe 5 to 10 instead of giving 20. Some bloggers may not understand how to change.

Thanks for the share :)

REPLY
Mukund said on October 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM :

@∂αηιєℓ : Yes!! May be! I hope people will understand that. Else let them see your comment! LOL!!

REPLY
Delvit said on December 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM :

Hello man... How are you? Successful test? do you know the benefits of the pairs of related posts? it's take effect with our blog? If i modified this code... just little u know... can take negative to our blog effect? I love this related style... XD

REPLY
Mukund said on December 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM :

@Delvit: Yeah! I am fine! How are you? Hmmm.. May be not. I don't think it will have any negative effects as such. I am not sure any way!! Let me know the info and I will have a look at what you say!!

REPLY
Phil said on December 31, 2009 at 11:57 PM :

Hello!

I've followed your instructions but somehow it doesnt show up still =\

heres my blog
www.mywaistland.com

thanks!

REPLY
Mukund said on January 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM :

@Phil: I rechecked the code and it works fine! Please do check if had skipped any step in between. If you still face any problem, please contact me via email and I will help you out!!

REPLY
Robin Hood Softwares said on March 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM :

Hello friend. Thanks for this trick. I implemented this on my blog. But the thing is in the number of other recommended post showing. In my blog you can see it is showing about 8. How can I limit it to 5 or according to my wish.

Pls reply.

REPLY
Mukund said on March 21, 2010 at 7:53 AM :

@Robin Hood Softwares: Just change the relatedTitlesNum to the number you require. Else try implementing the other form of related posts. Check out the other post in my blog.

REPLY
Eternal Psycho said on August 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM :

Thanks... good post, my blog looks good after adding this widget..

REPLY
Mukund said on August 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM :

@Eternal Psycho: Thanks for the comment! Keep in touch to receive regular updates from blog!!!

REPLY
KuppamOnline said on September 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM :

it works awesome..., can i add this post in my blog too? any copyright?

REPLY
Mukund said on September 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM :

@KuppamOnline: Thanks for the comment and I am happy that it works awesome for you blog. Please post it the way you understood rather than copying it exactly. Please provide the link to this post!! That will be better!!

REPLY
Timpa said on November 1, 2010 at 7:31 AM :

Hi Mukund, this one looks better than the other, but there's a bug thou, it shows the current post in the list along with with the other related posts, and the previous related posts gadget didn't do that, can you fix it? I know some coding but I don't wanna mess it up.

Oh and your blog is very helpful!

REPLY
Mukund said on November 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM :

@Timpa: Thanks for the comment and pointing out the bug in the gadget. I will any way release another related posts gadget in a few weeks time. You may take a look at the screen shot of the gadget below. Hope you like it!!!
New Related Posts Gadget

REPLY
Timpa said on November 2, 2010 at 12:02 AM :

Thanks for the reply, I'll wait then.
By the way, is there a way to make related posts links appear as "real" links for search engines?(I mean, links that can be followed) Because if you look at the code of any published page containing the related posts gadget, it doesn't show the links of those posts (as others gadgets do, my popular posts gadget does show the links in the code). I suppose it'll be better for internal link structure if search engines could see those links and follow them to added relevance I think. What do you think? Can related posts links be made crawlable?

REPLY
Mukund said on November 2, 2010 at 7:52 AM :

@Timpa: Thanks for the comment!! Your questions do give me a lot of ideas to post. As you said, most of the related post links are not crawled by the search engines. This is because every time when you open the webpage, the same links will not be published. Only a random post will be generated based on the post-label. So, it is not possible to do that. How ever, you can install breadcrumbs on your blog which will improve the SEO by making internal links. So, why not try that??? Do check out the following post for a preview of the related posts that will be posted after few weeks.
Ultimate Blogging Theme For Blogger

REPLY
Timpa said on November 3, 2010 at 3:35 AM :

Thanks again Mukund, I installed breadcrumbs, thanks for the idea, and I checked the new template and left a comment also there.
By the way, (leaving out the post subject) since I'm giving you ideas for posts :), here's another one: I'd like to know how to make sidebar boxes for widgets, like you have in your blog(in a lighter grey and with borders), since the default blogger sidebar is "blah"(sorry, coudn't find a better word to describe its horribleness)and I don't now how to customize it. Any ideas you can give me?

REPLY
Mukund said on November 3, 2010 at 7:39 AM :

@Timpa: Thanks for the comment again Timpa!! It is pretty easy to customize the sidebars. It requires a little change with CSS part of your template. Send me your template via email (smalwayz[at]gmail.com) and I will install the box style sidebars for your blog.

REPLY
Surajkv said on November 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM :

Man, this doesn't work?

REPLY
Anonymous

Woh its great share its realy looking gud on site visit www.erazwindows.com

REPLY
Mukund said on November 10, 2010 at 7:17 PM :

@Surajkv: No!! It works!! If you need a related post like the one seen on my blog, then contact me via email and I will get you the instructions for them!!!

REPLY
Mukund said on November 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM :

@Anonymous: Thanks for the comment! Yeah! I had a look at the site and your right, it blends well with your template! I hope you enjoy the other updates from my blog as well!!

REPLY
Mukund said on November 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM :

@Surajkv: No!! It works!! If you need a related post like the one seen on my blog, then contact me via email and I will get you the instructions for them!!!

REPLY
Robin Hood Softwares said on November 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM :

Hello friend. Thanks for this trick. I implemented this on my blog. But the thing is in the number of other recommended post showing. In my blog you can see it is showing about 8. How can I limit it to 5 or according to my wish.

Pls reply.

REPLY
Phil said on November 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM :

Hello!

I've followed your instructions but somehow it doesnt show up still =\

heres my blog
www.mywaistland.com

thanks!

REPLY
Delvit said on November 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM :

Hello man... How are you? Successful test? do you know the benefits of the pairs of related posts? it's take effect with our blog? If i modified this code... just little u know... can take negative to our blog effect? I love this related style... XD

REPLY
∂αηιєℓ said on November 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM :

The code works, however if I can give suggestion, you should limit the number to maybe 5 to 10 instead of giving 20. Some bloggers may not understand how to change.

Thanks for the share :)

REPLY
Srikanth Nyshadham said on November 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM :

Hi,

Very informative for a beginner like me.

Thanks

REPLY
Bhing said on November 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM :

I tried to use that kind of widget in my other blog but it seems it did not work well.. So I might try this one, I hope it will work out..

REPLY
suchelte said on December 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM :

I just love ur style....related posts widget is awesome...i searched too many blogs, but none find useful...this is great.......u can see at my blog...it looks so nice.....thanx a lot....keep doing such n nice stuff.....we will be with u.

REPLY
Mukund said on December 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM :

@suchelte: Thanks for the comment!Yes! I checked your blog on Hindi, the widget looks very soothing on your blog. Hope you enjoy other articles on my blog as well!!

REPLY
Pinoytoolbar said on January 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM :

Thanks, Finally i found the one that works for my blog abs-cbn live! To change the number of related post find ;max-results=8" - then change 8 to your desired results.

REPLY
Mukund said on January 1, 2011 at 3:05 PM :

@Pinoytoolbar: Thanks for the comment! I'm happy that it worked for you and you have optimized it as you want!!!

REPLY
Zahid Rouf said on January 6, 2011 at 12:42 AM :

Great Widget...Thanks for sharing.

REPLY
Mukund said on January 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM :

@Zahid Rouf: Thanks for the comment Zahid!! Hope you enjoy the other widgets on my blog as well!!!

REPLY
Jeanne said on April 14, 2011 at 4:00 PM :

Finally! I have found the code that works with my blog! I have tried several code even the one in your post here
http://www.newbloggingtipz.com/2009/04/add-related-posts-below-every-blogger.html

but this one really works well with my blog.. You're a genius! More Power!

REPLY
Mukund said on April 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM :

@Jeanne: Thanks for the comment buddy! I hope you enjoy the other widgets on my blog as well! I'm glad that this widget works perfectly on your blog!

REPLY
Nishat Shahriyar said on July 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM :

i follow your step but it does not work in my blogger blog :(
olz help

REPLY
Mukund said on July 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM :

@Nishat Shahriyar: Just tell me what problem you face! I will try to solve your issue! It would be better if you could send an email, probably with a screen shot, so that we can fix it faster!

REPLY
pvn said on July 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM :

i have a problem here. In the related posts it shows the original post again . Can u try to fixx that

REPLY
Mukund said on July 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM :

@pvnI guess you are saying the original post title gets repeated on the related posts widget! If I'm right in understanding your problem, well even I face the same issue. I tried to work out the coding but, still it appears! I will soon fix this bug and let you know! Thanks for the comment buddy!

REPLY
Bimal said on August 4, 2011 at 5:44 PM :

Thank you...
your article helps me alots in adding a related post widgets..

REPLY
Mukund said on August 4, 2011 at 5:51 PM :

@Bimal: Yup! Thanks for the comment! Hope you enjoy the other articles as well!

REPLY
Peter said on September 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM :

Hi :

Thanks for the tips.

But i don't want the post that i'm reading listing in the related post, i should i modify the code then?

Thanks

REPLY
Mukund said on September 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM :

@Peter: Well, I have always tried to work it out but I fail when I do so! Probably, the only solution would be to add a link-within gadget! Anyway, thanks for the comment! I hope I find a fix for the issue you posted:)

REPLY
Rommel Ismail said on October 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM :

Nice related widget. It look better than the other related posts widget that are available on the other site. I already add this to my Computer tips and tricks blog. Thanks for sharing this :)

REPLY
ARAVIND BALAJI said on January 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM :

not able to find

REPLY
aboabdullah.mosa said on February 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM :

Thank you very much. I did it in 2 min. thanks

REPLY
Mitesh said on March 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM :

thanks for u r tutorial will use this for my website i.e. http://www.theindependentindia.com

REPLY

Use the tab below to comment. No spam please!!!

[netinsert=0.0.1.11.14.1]