Alexa Rank Vs. Google PageRank (PR)

alexa-rank-vs-google-pr
There's always a confusion when it comes to Alexa Rank and Google PageRank. Many of you would have gone through so many articles about the same on the web. Yet, you would not know on what basis they ranked us or how they generated the ranking for us? This time let's be clear about what to worry and what not to?

From the very beginning of my blogging experience, there is always a big question mark about Google PR. Their algorithm seems to be Greek and Latin to me. Well, even those could be understood I think. Moreover, I would like to bring to your notice that my site few months before, on the blogspot URL had a PR4 which dropped to PR0 once I made the shift to a custom domain. Interestingly, I found that one of my article namely, Increase Traffic To Your Blog With Meta Tag and SEO, still has PR2. So, this definitely confuses me. I'm sure many of you would face similar kind of problems when it comes to the PageRank.

On the other hand, Alexa Rank, as far as I know is based only on one factor - traffic. This simply means that more the amount of visitors to your site, better will be your ranking. However, few people complain that the rankings are biased between the ones who have their toolbar installed on the sites and the ones without it. I'm not sure how far this is true, but personally I did see an improvement on installing their site widget. 

I would rather see the widget as a tracking device. Just as Google Analytics asks you to install a script for working out your site statistics, Alexa asks you to install their widget for better results. Moreover, I personally noticed that when you update your site on a regular basis, your Alexa Rank would improve. Let's just list out our conclusions.
  • Alexa do not penalize websites whereas Google might.
  • Alexa Rank is purely based on traffic whereas Google PR depends on its algorithm.
  • Alexa Rank may vary from millions to as low as 1 whereas Google PR uses a floating number algorithm to rank a website on a scale of 10.
  • Other factors that contribute to Alexa Rank apart from traffic - their toolbar.
  • Other factors that contribute to Google PR apart from back-links - Page Speed and other unknown craps understood by SEO geeks.
Many advertisers except those text-link advertisers have started to look for Alexa Rank rather than Google PR which according to me, is a good strategy. So, should you be bothered about these ranks? Well, certainly not. Bottom line, just worry about the amount of traffic to your site. The rest will follow you!!! Share your knowledge about PR and Alexa Rank or an opinion about this post via comments. We would love to hear from you!

To know more about PR & back-links, check out these:
Article One - How to increase the page rank of my blog?
Article Two - How to increase back-links to my blog???

Enjoyed the article?
Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Click here to subscribe to FREE email updates from "Everything About Blogging", so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you and your blog!

    Other Recommended Posts

  • Blogging, Google PageRank
Amit said on June 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM :

Nice Conclusion , "Just improve your page traffic and everything else will follow you"...

REPLY
Mukund said on June 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM :

@Amit: Yup! Just got frustrated with these stuff! Thanks for the comment Amit! Would love to see your comments more often on my blog!

REPLY
NSE said on June 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM :

Must say you have a very lucid stye of writing and keep the readers spell bound. Just to add Alexa wants a widget to be placed on the website which increases the loading time and instead of that they should give a script to the user which should be uploaded in their template itself and it keeps counting in the background.

REPLY
Mukund said on June 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM :

@NSE: May be that's a good idea! But, when Alexa or any other company, for that matter does that, it becomes an open source code. It becomes easy for others to decode and everyone can start a ranking company. Hope you understood. Thanks for the comment buddy!

REPLY
Amit said on June 15, 2011 at 9:03 PM :

@Mukund: Sure, Why not? Your's is a dofollow blog, so you will definately see me comment frequently LOL :P

REPLY
Mukund said on June 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM :

@Amit: Well, now my blog is nofollow. I gave dofollow a try but I did end up with a lot of spam comments. So, I'm back to nofollow. Will turn it to dofollow once the spam comments reduce!

REPLY
spectramedi said on June 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM :

Your blogs are amazing.Am new in blogging as well as in seo.Your blogs are guidelines for me .Keep blogging.And give me some tips after seeing my blog for "how to improve my blog.."
Thanks in advance

REPLY
Mukund said on June 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM :

@spectramedi: Thanks for the comment! Well, I did check your blog. It's pretty new and there is a lot to improve when it comes to SEO! Just ping me on gtalk and I would love to help newbies like you!

REPLY
Michael said on October 21, 2011 at 9:09 AM :

I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm not really aware of SEO and stuff. Can you check my sites? I would love to hear your words of wisdom.

Thanks!

Btw, I don't have gtalk, kinda loyal to ym. If you have ym, my id is on my profile.

Myke

REPLY
Mukund said on October 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM :

@Michael: Well, that's perfectly fine! Just drop me an email and I'll try to help you out! Make sure you specify what you about SEO, PR and other stuffs so that I can provide info that you don't know:)

REPLY

Use the tab below to comment. No spam please!!!

[netinsert=0.0.1.11.14.1]